Sunday, June 1, 2008

Rocking the Socks

I've been knitting socks for about 6 years. As with a lot of people, I was always intimidated by the tiny needles (although my first sweater was on size 1 and 2 needles!), the double points (I didn't know about bamboo and wood) and the term "turning the heel." In my mind, I imagined that knitting gymnastics were required, and decided that they were not for me.

The first ones I knit were actually baby booties in some DK weight. Then at Stitches I bought "The Purl Stitch" by Sally Melville which had a simple sock pattern and I stumbled into a booth with Mountain Colors and knit some great socks, although on too large needles. and they were easy, so then I branched out and got Folk Socks by Nancy Bush, and Cool Socks, Warm Feet by Lucy Neatby. Warren at Marin Fiber Arts has a great selection of sock yarn, including the amazing Pagewood Farm yarns.

But until a month ago, I had not used Blue Moon Fiber Arts "Socks That Rock." When visiting my friend Liz, we went to Purlescence Yarns, and I bought a skein in "Pebble Beach" which really does look like that beautiful part of the Monterey peninsula.

I knit. Yes, it was verrry, nice. I love the twist, the squishiness, the way it makes my knitting look great without any tugging. So here they are:

STR1b

and a lovely turned heel:

STR1c

I am happy sock person!

9 comments:

AuntieAnn said...

What lovely socks and what an interesting heel -- I haven't seen that one before. What is it?

Anonymous said...

I was also going to ask about the heel. The striping is great! And the color is so nice for you. Good work!

Alison said...

Beautiful!

Renee said...

Ah, the heel, this is a generic toe-up sock that I learned a year ago at Stitches from Merike Saarnit -- I love it because you don't have to keep track as much, and it's my "go-to" pattern...

Unknown said...

Love the colours in your socks!

Braizyn said...

Really nice job! I do love the heel. The really nice thing about STR socks is that they get cozier with more washings.

Renee said...

Thanks Judy,

I can't wait to find out!

jackie said...

nice socks! great job!

Kiwi said...

but wait... where can we find the heel pattern?? Lovely pair, by the way!